Holidaymaker sues Thomas Cook over cholera claim
Posted: May 3, 2014
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning
A holidaymaker is suing travel company Thomas Cook after he contracted cholera while on holiday in Tunisia. Tim Warner, from Telford, said he fell ill while staying in a hotel in September, thinking it was only a stomach bug. However, when he returned to the UK, a doctor informed him that he had contracted cholera. Mr Warner said he was “stunned”, believing that cholera was usually restricted to developing countries.
Mr Warner had booked the holiday to Tunisia with his partner Amanda, staying in an all-inclusive resort. Arriving with high-expectations, they were greeted by a strong odour of sewage and a swarm of flies. The couple described it as a “bad holiday” that only got worse when Tim fell ill. Thomas Cook said that Mr Warner had been greatly supported by its welfare team and took the claims very seriously.
“I could have died”
After returning home Mr Warner went to his doctor with fears that his stomach bug was becoming worse. He said: “He did some tests and sent me home only to call me a few hours later and urging me to go straight to hospital as I had contracted cholera. I was stunned and very worried.”
Mr Warner said that his doctor told him that he “could have died”. He has already started taking legal action against Thomas Cook. The company said that they could make no further comment at this stage.
« NHS 111 call handling failings
Border staff receive £20k repetitive strain injury compensation »