Apology over hospital misdiagnosis death
Posted: December 18, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence
The health secretary has apologised to the family of a man who was sent home from hospital with an undiagnosed ruptured spleen. 20-year-old John Moore-Robinson died in 2006 after staff at Stafford Hospital failed to accurately diagnose his injuries. He had been involved in a mountain bike accident and was diagnosed with bruised ribs. A few hours later he collapsed and died at home.
In September a second inquest was carried out, which found that Mr Moore-Robinson’s death could easily have been prevented. His father, Frank, said he wanted answers from the Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, concerning why no one had faced disciplinary action.
First communication in eight years
Following the original inquest, it was discovered that an internal report, criticising Mr Moore-Robinson’s care, had been withheld. Following a report of the wider issues at Stafford Hospital, however, a second inquest was ordered. It uncovered six separate shortcomings at the hospital’s A&E department which contributed to his death. Mr Moore-Robinson’s father said that the apology from the health secretary was the first point of communication from the Department of Health in eight years.
Mr Robinson said: “It will be an interesting discussion (when we meet Jeremy Hunt). We would like people who wronged John, and did wrong after he died, to be held to account.” He and his wife Janet are to meet Mr Hunt at the beginning of next year.
« Investigation over mental health care
Disabled teen wins £8million from birth injury claim »