Disabled teen wins £8million from birth injury claim
Posted: December 29, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence
A teenager that was left severely disabled following injuries as a baby is to receive £8million in compensation. The teenage boy from Belfast had been admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast shortly after his birth because of an infection. Because hospital staff failed to treat the infection adequately, he suffered spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy. On top of this, he also developed epilepsy and serious learning difficulties. He now requires around-the-clock specialist care.
The payout was agreed at the city’s High Court at the beginning of the month. It is the largest recorded payout of its kind in Northern Ireland. The compensation will allow the boy, who remains anonymous, to have a specially adapted home with advanced technology. It will also ensure that he receives the care he needs for the rest of his life.
“engaging, lively and delightful”
It was heard that the care package would include: occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, music therapy, hydrotherapy, and physiotherapy from a specially trained team. These forms of therapy will “add greatly to his development and quality of life into adulthood”, said the family’s solicitor.
He described the boy as “engaging, lively and delightful”, despite his debilitating disabilities. He said that he has a strong passion for music, which will be helpful in encouraging developmental progress.
The compensation is to be paid out to the boy on an ongoing stepped payment basis, which will continue throughout his entire life.
If you have suffered an injury or illness as a result of medical negligence, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Apology over hospital misdiagnosis death
Dog owner banned from owning animals »